• Announcements

• Graywind

Zakarum.net has moved!   02/11/2018

Welcome to the new home of zakarum.net! Please look around and let us know if anything is out of place.
Sign in to follow this  
Graywind

20 Years of Diablo

7 posts in this topic

For me, there are three moments, one with each game, that REALLY stand out.

The first is literally my first memory with Diablo. I had picked it up as a Christmas present for my brother, Vromus, and was installing and testing it out to make sure our computer was okay for it, and the ambiance... to say that it was immersive to me doesn't do it justice. I talked to everyone, walked to the cathedral, and was immediately drawn into the Gothic setting. It was a feeling I look for in a good game; I knew I had found something good, even just wandering the first floor of the cathedral. Convinced we were good, I quickly uninstalled it and rewrapped everything, and prepared myself to watch my brother experience the same wonder.

The second was in Diablo 2, playing with the guys, and Vromus joining in. I was playing my Druid at the time, and we were all running Nihlathak, when Vromus decided to catch up on foot. I can only assume that we did not do as thorough a job clearing out the entryway as we thought, because according to Vromus, he was swarmed under and quickly lost his character. I was FURIOUS. I immediately logged out, grabbed my bone-mancer, and logged back in to secure the area and destroy every possible barrier between my brother and his claiming his equipment. The field became a mass of bone walls and teeth and exploding corpses as every skeleton that could even possibly wake back up was wiped from the map.

And that was BEFORE Trebain or Valrotha could get there. I don't see them as being less thorough; I was merely first.

That stuck out, because there have been so many times over the years where my bumbling has lead to my brother having to do that same sort of covering maneuver for me. It was a good feeling to have the skill and ability to finally provide that same service to him, after a lifetime of my partner being my own backup.

Lastly, I remember my first time playing through Diablo 3, and reaching Act 3. I was working through the catapults quest, and the first worm-thing leaped to the top of the parapets and spewed its demonic passengers onto the walkway. It quickly fell, and then... I saw the war below. The detail, the battles... COUNTLESS demons charging against an army. Siegebreaker swatting away at barbarians in the distance. For the first time in Diablo, this didn't feel like a dungeon crawl or a narrated war where I was TOLD there was danger, but had to imagine it. For the first time... I could SEE the war.

I kid you not, I just stopped and watched and listened for a few minutes, taking in the sheer scope of it. I know that logically I wouldn't need to fight it. I know that logically it was all background animation. But... for the first time in the series, the threat truly seemed immersive enough to have me feeling like I was fighting for the WORLD, and not just for a treasure chest.

That's it for me. Hope you all enjoyed.

It was in 1997 my friend got me Diablo 1 and I went home to install it. Loved to ambient music and graphic at once !!

Met all the NPCs and proceeded into the Cathedral...cleared level one and descended to level 2...where I saw this room of bodies on stakes or pikes...

I opened the door...

"AHHHH FRESH MEAT !!"

And this thing came at me hacking me til I was dead !!!

It was at this moment...laughin' like crazy...that I found the coolest game EVER !!

Rest is history :)

It was back some 12 (15?) years ago or more, when we played the Friday Night Paladins. Eight Paladins in a game with coordinating Auras and skills. That has been one of my favorite memories of this game.

It was back some 12 (15?) years ago or more, when we played the Friday Night Paladins. Eight Paladins in a game with coordinating Auras and skills. That has been one of my favorite memories of this game.

Mine as well! :)

Brothers Blonteck, Kazmir and I first time in D2...we traveled together a lot at the beginning....always a step behind Commander Righdon...

And always keepin' in contact on ICQ with him on what was coming up...

Got to Act 2...chilled with my drinkin' partner Geg a bunch going to town....wooo weee !!

Got to Duriel and whooped him down...HARD !!!

We were like..."NEXT !!!"

Wooo boy...

KURAST woke us up...HARD !!!!

We died on every turn of that damn twisted jungle....

And we traveled for DAYS !!!

This was SC mind you (no HC at that time) but we had to hold watch after EACH of us died...

And then we got to Flayer Dungeon...

This is where I get my "I HATE THIS PLACE"...

:angry:

Sign in to follow this