Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sentarius

Factorio

52 posts in this topic

https://www.factorio.com/

Anyone playing this? It's more abstract but seems like it might appeal to Minecraft players. In alpha at the moment but will supposedly have multiplayer in the future.

Warning; HUGE time sucker!

It's on my wishlist. I almost got it, but decided on Banished instead. I've spent time playing Fortresscraft Evolved, too, which is a voxel game like Minecraft.

Are you playing it, Sent?

I am playing it, still working through the campaign missions, which are sort of a tutorial for the sandbox mode. But it's very impressive.

I wonder if we could do a group segment in an LP? Something like a multiplayer game while on skype, with you (Mycosa) using your rig to capture the skype conversation as well as your pov in game? While people put hundreds and even thousands of hours (!) into sand box rigs, I would suggest a 5-10 hour multiplayer game over a few sessions, after you've done the campaign and are ready to dip into sandbox.

I like this idea... My original thought was a single player Let's Play, and doing group games in an archived Livestream, simply because it can be difficult to arrange a regular recording time with multiple people, but one way or another, it can be done.

Another thought, and this is actually how I record most of my games, is to get together and record multiple episodes in one day. Basically, you set a bit of a timer or you set up a series of tasks, you play for a couple hours, and after each timer mark or task, you make an end of segment statement and then a new opening statement. It then gets divided up and assembled during the editing process.

Both possibilities here.

My loaders refuse to load into the furnaces and boilers! I'm going through the tutorials, frantically filling coal, past loaders surrounded with coal, crying out, "Whyyyyyyy?!" abs what look like zerglings on steroids in the middle of a temper tantrum charge me!

Why have you done this to me, Sentarius?!

They look like the are... I would SWEAR they are... I've tried, when I can unbury them from coal and zerg corpses, to rotate them... They just sit there. They sit there, and stare at me in confusion. Like, the loaders know they're supposed to be doing SOMEthing, but they just can't quite figure out WHAT.

I'm gonna run through the tutorials again, and if it works, I'd LOVE to try this game with you, Sent. You mind if I record it as well, or would you prefer I keep that for my solo plays?

Do they have power / fuel?

I'd love to to a recorded multiplayer game.

Let me get a better feel for this, and you got it! Three questions:

• Would you like to record as well, and have me do a joint video?
  • Is there a regular day maybe bi-monthly that we could go at it for a couple hours? That would be enough for me to get 4-8 good episodes a month for a regular upload rate, including editing, and without making it so common and everyday a thing that it'd burn us out.
  • Any particular style you prefer? Unmodded? Modded? Limited map?

Just some thoughts. I'm gonna start up some single player to get the feel so I don't accidentally... um... get us killed...

Enh, getting us killed is fine.

I'm not really set up to record. Also, I don't think a split view would add much.

Regular days are tough for me, as you can imagine. Crit will be away for the first two weeks of June (leaves May 29 returns June 13) and if you had the time I could play for a few hours a night on...a lot of nights...and we could build up a bank of material. Maybe we could do one evening in May before she leaves to test things and sort of get set up? Going forward past early June, we could aim for sessions twice a month and if we didn't play exactly every 14 days it would be OK because you would have a cushion built up.

Regarding maps, I've only played unmodded infinite maps but am up for anything!

1: No worries about that; I just like being able to set up a Bro-Cam when there's another person available, or to be able to switch to where the action is, such as when I did that video set with Mahl and Shadon on Diablo 3 back in the day. If you're not wanting, though, that is no problem at all.

2: I hear you on regular days. My schedule is pretty tight lately, as well. How about we see if we can do either this Wednesday evening or next, and just try a test shot to make sure we've got things going.

3: Unmodded infinite works for me as a start! We can set up some rudimentary goals to begin with and go from there. :D

Wednesday May 25 would work for me for technical set up and testing. I'll hold the evening open.

Signing in here. I will be available this evening around 7pm for some factorio fun, if you're interested, Sent! I'm thinking this time, we just go for getting a feel for things and do some basic sound checks, and not worry yet about recording anything for YouTube. I'm good until 9pm, if that's alright. :D

We have a contractor coming at 6...which means the full 7-9 is tough for me because of needing dinner. What I'll do is check in as soon as the contractor leaves.

I was thinking we would make sure we can get into a multiplayer game at all, do a sound check, and discuss map settings etc. Maybe spawn a few sample maps to get a feel for starting areas and generally decide what we want to do so we can start fresh with youtube recordings next week.

I like your idea, Sent, though I think we talked live already. See you soon!

Sorry I haven't checked in for a while, but...

Holy crap is this game addictive. Managed to get a rocket up with a satellite to finish the game.

Let me know if you guys still have room for a 3rd. If you've already started, no worries. Post a link to the vids when you can. I'd love to check them out.

Haven't started, thinking of doing so sometime this week. If you've actually launched a rocket, you've made it further than I have!

Well, we did some play testing, and I can say that I wouldn't mind a third to the party! I'm just concerned that you might not be available. SO FAR, we're looking at Wednesday to record, and I know you work that day. We could potentially record Sunday; I SHOULD be free Sunday nights. I'd be glad for the company, though!

Couple things:

First, this game is not strongly narrative, it's about building a giant base. If we did three players and had Mysosa hosting and recording, future sessions could proceed with either or both of myself and Valr, we wouldn't have to always all be there. This would be especially great for me because in life, weekly commitments are hard.

Second, we had discussed Wednesday or Sunday (although I was hoping for Hearthstone and maybe an arena run tonight Factorio would be good too...) but I was hoping to play at least twice a week for the next two weeks, to get off to a strong start while Crit is in Mozambique.

Third, tomorrow is Memorial Day. I know not everyone has off and among those that are off many likely have plans, but personally I am off and have no plans, so I could play Factorio...a lot.

Do you guys want to do our first session tomorrow (Wednesday)?

(I am also available tonight, but someone mentioned Wednesday.)

Valr, you should download the program "Evolve" - it's a really easy way to generate a virtual IP and connect with people in Factorio. May require a little troubleshooting on Windows 10.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0