Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jarnnave

Is it time for a monitor upgrade? The ASUS MG279Q

2 posts in this topic

Both Stor and Eld have this monitor. It is big, beautiful and awesome!

ASUS MG279Q Monitor (on sale $550 , $565 typically at BestBuy)
27" LED IPS Panel
Adaptive-Sync (Free-Sync)
144 Hz refresh rate,
4 ms (GTG) response time;
1,000:1 contrast ratio;
350 nits brightness;
2560 x 1440 resolution; WQHD Widescreen
178-degree horizontal and vertical viewing angles;
HDMI, Mini DisplayPort and DisplayPort inputs; 
Blue light filter

Note: You will need a powerful graphics card, to push all those pixels. 
ATI Radeon RX 480 8 Gig (Stor has this)
ATI Radeon R9 390 8 Gig (Eld has this)

Important: One of the key features of this monitor is the adaptive synchronization between the monitor and the video card. AMD's version of this is called Free-Sync.
NVidea also has a version called GSync, the main problem with GSync monitors is that they are a lot more expensive ($200+) vs the Free-Sync equivalent.
The monitor and the video card have to support the same version of adaptive synchronization, for this monitor that is Free-Sync and most newer ATI video cards.

I recommend you purchase a monitor from a local store like Best Buy (order it online and have delivered). Thay way if there are bad pixels or light bleed it can be returned for a new one locally.

That is an impressive display.

I imagine that I will need to step up to the land of 27" monitors at some point but I've been a little price-shy.

In addition to my 15" InfinityEdge display in my Dell XPS 15 (9550) laptop, I have hooked up two Dell UltraSharp monitors (the 22" U2212HM and the 24" U2417H). 

The obvious downside is that a lot of desk space is needed for all of that hardware. 

Last I had checked, I could get two very good 24" monitors for the price of a single very good 27" monitor. So, I went that route. 

I'm not really sure why I rambled about so much in this post but it's too late now.